Getting Your Service Record



Getting Your Service Record


National Personnel Records Center
(St. Louis, MO)

The information on this page is from the National Personnel Records Centers web site at the link above.

PDF File Icon. Click here to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. PDF files require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click on the link to go to their web site and download the program.

Sharon Lawrence has shared with us two documents that she put together based on her "lessons learned" researching her fathers service on LST 705 during the War. I have converted them to PDF format that can be downloaded from the links below.

Researching Military Service   and Writing a Military Service History

 Please Note: Only the veteran can request medals or service records. After a veteran is deceased, only immediate family can request a veterans medals (ie. mother, father, brother, sister, son or daughter ) anyone can request service records, however their may be a charge. 

  Military Record Requests
(SF 180)

The Standard Form 180 is formatted for legal size paper (8.5" x 14").  Please print that way if your printer can accommodate that.  If your printer can only print on letter size paper (8.5" x 11"), select "shrink to fit" when the Adobe Acrobat Reader "Print" dialog box appears.

No longer available see below

A fillable version of the Standard Form 180, front and back, is The only one available now using the link below.  It will allow you to type the needed information into the form using your keyboard.  You will still need to print, sign and mail the form.  You can also print it out and fill by hand. Also you can not save it after it is filled in you must print it or your information will be lost.

Adobe Acrobat PDF Standard Form 180 - Fillable

If you don't have access to a printer, or are unable to download the SF 180, you may still submit a request for military records.  Please read the two options below, and choose the one best suited to your needs:

  1. Contact the National Archives and Records Administration's Fax-on-Demand system. The SF 180 is available as document number 2255.

    NOTE: You must call the system from a fax machine (using the handset) in order to receive documents. Voice instructions will guide you. There is no charge for this service except for any long distance telephone charges you may incur. The phone number to access the fax-on-demand system is as follows: 301-837-0990.

  2. Send your request as a letter. Requests must contain enough information to identify the record among the more than 70 million on file at NPRC (MPR). Certain basic information is needed to locate military service records. This information includes the veteran's complete name used while in service, service number or social security number, branch of service, and dates of service. Date and place of birth may also be helpful, especially if the service number is not known. If the request pertains to a record that may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include place of discharge, last unit of assignment, and place of entry into the service, if known.

The SF 180 may be photocopied as needed.  Please submit a separate request (either SF 180 or letter) for each individual whose records are being requested.  You may submit more than one request per envelope or fax. Our mailing address is:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Our fax request number is 314-538-4175.  The Center will respond in writing by U.S. Mail.

PDF File Icon. Click here to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. PDF files require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click on the link to go to their web site and download the program.



2002 LCT Flotillas of World War II ETO PTO

Contact us